[Nix-dev] NixOS 16.09 released

Domen Kožar domen at dev.si
Tue Oct 4 00:01:21 CEST 2016

Dear community,

I'm proud to announce the 6th NixOS stable release 16.09 named "Flounder".

With a slight delay due to broken KDE5 test and time needed for getting
that through channel updates.

With over 13283 commits from 554 contributors the release brings two major
changes:

1) Multiple outputs reducing closure size. For example, the closure
    size of a minimal NixOS container went down from ~424 MiB in 16.03
    to ~212 MiB in 16.09, while the closure size of Firefox went from
    ~651 MiB to ~259 MiB.

   Big thanks to Vladimír Čunát for leading this work!

2) Hardening compiler flags for improved security. See
https://blog.mayflower.de/5800-Hardening-Compiler-Flags-for-NixOS.html for
more information.

   Big thanks to Franz Pletz and Robin Gloster for leading this work!

There's one issue with X libraries yielding "libEGL.so.1: undefined
reference to `wl_proxy_*`", please see
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/16779

See release notes for more information about major changes and updates at
http://nixos.org/nixos/manual/release-notes.html#sec-release-16.09

ISO images, VirtualBox images, Azure BLOBs and EC2 AMIs can be downloaded
from:

http://nixos.org/nixos/download.html

NixOS manual is at http://nixos.org/nixos/manual/

Fresh installation can be done by following "Installation chapter" in the
manual:

http://nixos.org/nixos/manual/index.html#sec-installation

Upgrading existing NixOS installations:

    $ nix-channel --add https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-16.09 nixos
    $ nixos-rebuild switch --upgrade

Report any issues to the bug tracker on https://github.com/NixOS/ni
xpkgs/issues <https://github.com/NixOS/nixos/issues>

PS: note that according to our policy, 16.03 is now unmaintained (we'll
still backport *only critical* security updates)

Domen