[Nix-dev] nix-shell and persistent environment

Ruben Astudillo ruben.astud at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 17:49:30 CEST 2016

On 01/10/16 04:03, Daniel Hlynskyi wrote:
 > To complete previous answer.
 >
 > I create a separate directory .nix-gc-roots, because nix-shell produces
 > many roots.

You do this for keep things in order or because it buys you functionality?

 > Also, I haven't found yet a way to get nix root for nixpkgs imported as
 > external derivation, so after garbage collect I still have to
 > redownload some sources

This is basically my experience. The method on the old wiki makes the
environment survive `nix-channel --update` but not `nix-collect-garbage`
which is weird because (as in the wiki) I explicitly asked for the .drv
be a '--indirect --add-root' on $PWD.