[Nix-dev] Distributing files between machines in a nixops deployment

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Nov 19 12:46:11 CET 2016

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 12:10:59 +0100 Marius Bergmann <marius at yeai.de>
wrote:
> Is it possible to declare the distribution of a file (in my case a ssh
> server/client public key) to different machines in a nixops
> deployment?
>
> I want to create a client keypair on one machine and then authorize
> the public part on several other machines in the deployment. Those
> other machines' public server keys should also be added to the
> known_hosts of the machine logging into them.
>
> I know I could create all the keypairs on the machine running nixops
> and send both the public as well as the private keys over the
> network, but I would like to find out if there's a way around it.

I think this is one of the things you don't do/want with Nix/NixOps as
this is essentially self-modifying deployment. Which makes the
deployment non-deterministic and unreproducible in the strict sense.
With deployment-/configuration-management systems that have a central
node and database, like chef and puppet can have, you can do such
things. For Nix this is counter-intuitive.

- Arnold