[Nix-dev] Did we just get windows support for free?

Mathnerd314 mathnerd314.gph at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 02:42:05 CEST 2016

The talk is finished. There's also a pre-recorded demo:
https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/P488

Apparently the files are stored in a hidden user directory as normal NTFS
files. It's still unclear why the filesystem appears as read-only, but
apt-get does work, so I imagine Nix will work fine too, unless it uses one
of the unimplemented syscalls. it's not going to be available for another
1-2 weeks, and then only to Windows Insiders (but it's free to join that
program).

I don't think Nix should drop MinGW or Cygwin support though (what little
works), since it will still be useful for compiling GUI things (e.g. SDL
games).

-- Mathnerd314