[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs versioning

Tomasz Czyż tomasz.czyz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 01:30:23 CEST 2016

I would say it maybe doesn't matter for main nix repo and nixpkgs. But when
you have your development platform with private packages this can be an
issue.

I have the situation now where I have one repo with private packages but
for different projects I use different versions of the same package.

I could use totally separated dependencies per project, but for some cases
I prefer to use central repo (to avoid repetitions mostly) and in that case
I need package versioning (I'm using <package_name>_<version_2_2> right now
which is not that convininet).

> > On Mar 30, 2016, at 1:55 AM, Jakob Gillich <jakob at gillich.me> wrote:
> >
> > FYI npm also uses @ for this purpose (e.g. npm install foo at 1.0). I don't
> > think I ever had to escape it (?).
>
> I don’t know about Guix, but with NPM, version names are much more
> important than they are with nix. NPM uses semver and constraint solving to
> resolve dependencies based on the version numbers, so the actual x.y.z
> number attached to a given release is critical. With nix, there’s no
> central registry of packages, release and their numbers, and we often
> specify dependencies with a Git rev and hash. We use fixed-output
> derivations to ensure that we always get the right dependency, so the
> version number of a given derivation doesn’t matter that much, and often
> doesn’t exist.
>
> Colin

Tomasz Czyż