[Nix-dev] Did we just get windows support for free?

Kevin Cox kevincox at kevincox.ca
Wed Mar 30 20:01:06 CEST 2016

Hello Nixers,

Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will have a Linux ABI. What this
means is that it will be able to run native Linux binaries by presenting
them with a Linux compatible system call table.

Since the only dependency Nix has on the underlying OS is the kernel ABI
I believe that this means that you should be able to use Nix on Windows
10 just by treading it as x86 Linux.

I doubt GUI apps will work because of the different display server and
whatnot but I imagine that almost all apps will work without any changes
or recompiling.

Very slow link:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx
Google cache:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx

More mediaish link:
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html

I'm interesting in hearing what you guys think?