[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs versioning

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:32:16 CEST 2016

On 03/29/2016 02:33 PM, Arseniy Seroka wrote:
> I saw post about guix release and there was introduced a '@'
> delimiter in pkg's name to separate version from name. Maybe we can use it
> in nix too?

It seems rather unconventional and currently I can't see enough
advantages to convince me personally.

In shell commands you will typically need to escape the character, which
would affect commands like `nix-env -i foo\@ver` but that shouldn't
happen too often. What would be worse, if this delimiter was used in
filesystem paths like /nix/store/hash-fooname at version/... we would have
to escape all of the occurrences and I'd expect many scripts to break.

--Vladimir