[Nix-dev] 16.03 in gcc5.3, master in gcc 4.9?

joachifm at fastmail.fm joachifm at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 22 14:10:44 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016, at 01:59 PM, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 01:23:39PM +0100, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> > On 03/22/2016 10:22 AM, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> > > I think that someone merged into 16.03 instead of into master unwillingly.
> > > An error. But did this pass unnoticed by the maintainers for more than 15
> > > days?
> >
> > No, according to some chats the inclusion in 16.03 is intentional. The
> > changes for master are in staging, but there's also mass darwin breakage
> > which noone addresses, so that's why it isn't merged to master yet.
> > https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/commit/dd53c65dccb6#commitcomment-16668634
> >
> > It's possible the darwin breakage is on 16.03 as well, as Hydra has no
> > darwin jobs for releases AFAIK.
>
> How weird. Why that was merged into 16.03 and not into master? Why isn't
> master the first step to 16.03?

Because releases are linux only and so are unaffected by the darwin
breakage. This way we get the feature into the release while minimising
disruption for nixpkgs users. Makes sense to me.

> So, should we push fixes for gcc5 into 16.03? Will that be merged into
> master? Should these go to staging?

I'd expect that staging ends up being merged into master at some point,
so putting fixes into staging makes sense to me.