[Nix-dev] HP Network Printer (CUPS + HPLIP)

Sergiu Ivanov sivanov at colimite.fr
Mon Mar 14 17:17:07 CET 2016

Hello,

I'm trying to set up CUPS to use a HP LaserJet Enterprise 600 M602 [0]
on my NixOS system.  Here is the relevant snippet of my
configuration.nix (taken from the wiki [1]):

  services.printing = {
    enable = true;
    drivers = [ pkgs.hplip ];
  };

hp-setup does not detect the printer and says "No devices found on this
bus: net".

In Web administration interface for CUPS, I click "Add Printer" then I
select HP Printer (HPLIP) and I specify socket://192.168.0.11 as
connection string (I can ping this address). Then, when I get to the
screen giving the list of models, I *cannot* see the model of my
printer, even though the directory

  $(nix-build '<nixpkgs>' --no-out-link -A hplip)/share/ppd/HP/

contains a file hp-laserjet_600_m601_m602_m603-ps.ppd.gz .

I gunzip this file in a temporary folder and load it explicitly via the
CUPS Web interface.  Then, when I tell the Web interface to print a test
page, the job fails with the message 'stopped "Filter failed"'.

How would you normally set up HPLIP to work correctly with CUPS?

(I think I used to install foomatic on Arch Linux, but I'm not sure any
more.)

--
Sergiu

[0] http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_600_m602.html