[Nix-dev] yet another npm2nix reengineering attempt

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Wed Mar 2 02:11:38 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 6:42 AM, Sander van der Burg <svanderburg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So as you may see: it is all quite annoying and painful. :(

I'm starting to think that it's pointless to try to make it all work
automatically. At some point it's so compatible with npm that it replicates
all of npm's quirks and bugs and you might as well use npm directly,
because you're not enjoying any of the advantages of nix anymore.

What I've been trying to do is import dependency information from npm, but
make it easier to customize so that you can work around the quirks of
specific npm packages with less pain. I'm using the npm2nix in nixpkgs, but
ignoring the default.nix it generates, and building custom derivations from
the registry. It's still pretty painful when the generated registry doesn't
work, but I have managed to get things to work the nix way.

Colin