[Nix-dev] Packaging Torch

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 22:00:27 CET 2016

Hello. After recent segfault I have re-designed Nix expression
building Torch the machine learning framework. New build2.nix doesn't
use all-in-one install script from the upstream, but builds one
package after another in form of separate derivations. This way turns
out to be successful, so we have a Torch which passes the segfault
test from the previous letter.

As a side effect, the expression contains function dealing with
luarocks (they think every language should have its own package
manager))). It would be nice to integrate it into nixpkgs. AFAIK
top-level/lua-packages doesn't really support luarocks builds at the
moment.

To check it out:

$ git clone https://github.com/grwlf/torch-distro --recursive
$ cd torch-distro
$ nix-build build2.nix -A trepl
$ ./result/bin/th

There are less than a half of the total number of packages. Still many
things to do..

Regards,
Sergey