[Nix-dev] OpenGL and Nix

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 18:01:34 CET 2016

Hi Herwig,

Okay, Herwg, this is what's driving me insane:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/libraries/mesa/default.nix#L27

Yes, I do not want to link to the stock nix libGL because it has
STATIC_TLS enabled without which would result in a 10% performance
hit. So if you're playing hardcore games you want STATIC_TLS.

I on the other hand do not want STATIC_TLS because if I have it
enabled it throws this error ""SDL error: Failed loading libGL.so.1:
dlopen: cannot load any more object with static TLS"', hence I need to
recompile it ensuring no initial-exec (which == STATIC_TLS) is
enabled.

As I'm running a simple 2D windowing system (conrod) it's more than
adequate for my needs.

Excellent, much appreciated Herwig.