[Nix-dev] Commit access

Herwig Hochleitner hhochleitner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 01:00:34 CET 2016

> I would love to see a workflow involving a merge queue, where normally
> humans should never push directly to master nor click merge on pull
> requests,

This is kind of where things are at with hydra channels.

> but instead:
>
> 1. developer opens pull request
> 2. travis runs tests, posts results as usual
> 3. someone with approval/commit rights comments: "nixbot: OK to merge" or
> something to that effect
> 4. the bot merges or rebases the PR to a staging branch and triggers a
> test suite against it
> 5. If those tests pass, the bot pushes the results to master.

Consider that we might take travis fatigue out of the picture, with an
integration of github and hydra (and maybe travis), wouln't that let us
skip the commit bot?

This workflow, in theory, could yield a master branch that always has tests
> passing.  The catch is that it would effectively require serializing the
> merge queue's test runs, since if master changes during a test then the
> results become invalidated.  To address that, there is a project called
> Zuul[1] that the Openstack project developed to handle this workflow.  It
> manages a gating merge queue, and enables parallelizing of test runs by
> strategically combining merges, and will intelligently recombine them to
> isolate individual merges that don't pass.  The flow is better described in
> their docs than I can do here, and I suggest taking a look:
> http://docs.openstack.org/infra/zuul/gating.html The openstack project's
> own instance of zuul may also be of interest for the sake of example:
> http://status.openstack.org/zuul/

I'm not sure about introducing automatic patch permutations to hydra, but
isolating failing merges does sound very interesting.
I could imagine hydra speculatively removing commits or merges that
introduce test failures. This would also attach clear meaning to merge
commits: "atomic skip for hydra"