[Nix-dev] Has someone a working setup for Kernel development with NixOS?

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Sat Jun 18 20:16:48 CEST 2016

Hi,

I want to get my feet wet with kernel development after my bachelors
thesis and maybe someone has a working setup for kernel dev with
NixOS.

I especially think about doing a `nixos-rebuild build-vm` with a
self-compiled kernel, so what I'm looking for is something like this:

    A way to build a QEMU VM with all my stuff installed (what
    `nixos-rebuild build-vm` does) _without_ changing my
    configuration.nix

Does someone of you people on this list have a setup for this? Does
someone have a suggestion how to do this?

I'm also thinking about using build machines for this and so on ...

--- snip ---

Of course you can do all these things without nixos, but I kinda like
the idea of doing it with nixos tools so I can have my system
services, programs and so on be tested in the VM without having to do
much setup on my own.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,