[Nix-dev] hydra and nixos versions/commits at hydra.nixos.org

Tomasz Czyż tomasz.czyz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 14:50:41 CEST 2016

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Tomasz Czyż <tomasz.czyz at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Domen,
>>
>> do you know what's the strategy for hydra in nixos? Looks like module
>> file is not imported from hydra but is copied/prepared separately in nixos.
>> That means there are two module versions but one code base.
>>
>> Will hydra module be moved to nixos? If not, maybe would be better to
>> just import it from upstream?
>>
>> Is strategy (to keep modules inside nixos for external packages, even
>> those with nix modules) the way to go for all other projects? If yes, could
>> you explain why or point to some explanations?
>>

>  Currently module in nixpkgs and the module in hydra will be maintained
> separately. Eelco will deploy Hydra as it's always been and update
> package/module in hydra.git, I'll port changes to nixpkgs.
>
> We currently don't have a better way to deal with this. I'll see how it
> goes, but the idea is Hydra repository should be self contained.

IMHO, this makes additional work without giving too much.

1. you have to port module into nixos each time you fetch new hydra change
2. if hydra will brake compatibility with nixos you have to fix ported
version (which makes situation where two modules needs to be maintained)

but if you would just import module from nix you have:

1. when updating hydra you just check if tests pass
2. if something is broken you can fix upstream or override hydra module to
create temporary fix

So I assume second approach is lot less work with the same weak points.
Maybe I'm missing something but for me it looks like just adding more
manual work to do.
What do you think?

Also, there is a case (not mine yet, but I assume will be at some point)
when you want to keep specific hydra version with it's module
implementation, is it possible to do that in a current version? (I mean
import hydra's module which override local module)?