[Nix-dev] emscripten toolchain on nixos

Joachim Schiele js at lastlog.de
Fri Jun 10 12:04:53 CEST 2016

hey,

paul & me, authors of nixcloud.io/tour, lately were doing a project for
nl-net. one outcome was a nice 'hack' in order to get emscripten to work
on nixos.

the details are here:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/15636

this kind of gives us finaly the opportunity to create a emscripten
based toolchain abstraction as we have it for c/c++/perl/python/... already.

there is some example code how to use nix-shell to hack on projects
using a simple Makefile featuring two environments:
- nativeEnv
- emEnv

both environments are basically using the same code-base but one
compiles native code, so when you are on x86 you can directly execute
the c-program there. the emEnv will also use the c-program but compile
it into javascript which only can be executed by a browser (or nodejs).

interestingly this already works for jscon-c, xml.js and libz used as
buildInputs. just see
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/15636#issuecomment-222681446

the logical next step will be a emscripten based toolchain. who is in?
please contact us.

if anyone reading this also attends tuebix,
http://www.tuebix.org/2016/programm_raumplan/ , we could arrange some
hacking in the evening.

regards,
joachim