[Nix-dev] GNOME packaging file structure

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:57:09 CEST 2016

Hello,
after GNOME 3.20 I'm planning to change the file hierarchy of
pkgs/desktops/gnome-3.
How it works now when updating:
1. Copy directory from e.g 3.18 to 3.20
2. Make changes to 3.20

The problem is that in the while changes to 3.18 may happen, especially
when a release is delayed that much. Just think between 3.18 and 3.20 in
our nixpkgs repository the multi-outputs branch has been merged.

Currently the file hierarchy looks like:
3.20/package/default.nix
3.20/package/src.nix

I would like to change it to:
package/base.nix
package/3.20/src.nix

Or something like that. I'm still unsure how exactly this looks like in the
code, but I think it will be better in terms of maintenance.

Best regards,

--
NixOS Linux <http://nixos.org>