[Nix-dev] A few beginner issues

Nick Sabalausky bus_nixos_list at semitwist.com
Sat Jul 30 05:23:35 CEST 2016

On 07/29/2016 11:09 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 07/29/2016 06:50 PM, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
>>>    stage-1-init: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': No such
>>> device
>>
>> I guess that means the virtualbox driver doesn't work with vmware.
>> (Two competing VM technologies, no surprise really.)
>>
>> I've never used vmware on Linux. I use VirtualBox. NixOS distributes
>> OVA files that you can import straight into VirtualBox. I think that's
>> a very easy way to get started.
>>

> /facepalm
>
> Clearly I can't read ;)

BTW, I did notice the prebuilt virtual machines, ready for importing,
which is very nice, but I wanted to try installing it myself just for
the learning experience. If/When I install it on a physical machine, I
won't necessarily be able to rely on a prebuilt image. It's the first
time I've installed any Linux without a GUI installer, but with the
NixOS manual, it turned out to be easy enough.

I'll see what I can figure out about installing guest additions from
vmware. I'm noticing a vmware-guest module on github. Should be simple
enough...