[Nix-dev] Packaging free software that costs money

Kevin Cox kevincox at kevincox.ca
Thu Jul 7 18:32:46 CEST 2016

On 07/07/16 12:25, Vladimír Čunát wrote:

> As mentioned, paying for freely-licensed SW (as accepted by FSF or OSI)
> is always possible but can *never* be forced (legally), so I don't think
> we should make it *appear* as obligatory.

Yes, I think this is the right route. We can definitely start by
defining a way to link specifically to "support" pages.

I think that looking into ways to make it a little more obvious in the
future might also be a good idea, such as display a message when
installed or providing a command that lists all packages you have
installed that request monetary support.

Let's face it, most open source projects could use with more funding,
and if we can help I think that is great. Of course we shouldn't make
our "help" too obtrusive for the user, finding the "right" balance is
always a struggle but I think that slowly working towards it is a good idea.