[Nix-dev] Packaging free software that costs money

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Wed Jul 6 14:19:52 CEST 2016

On 16-07-06 11:58am, zimbatm wrote:
> We can provide the derivation but ask the user to download the source
> themselves. I think we already have such a mechanism in place for non-free
> software.

But that’s not necessary at all. The source is available openly
and we can also have hydra build the binaries.

Nothing is different from a libre/free software, except there is
some kind of price tag attached (that is oftentimes pay what you want).

Hm, maybe it’s time to respect the money aspect:

meta = {
  monetary = {
    type = "donation" | "mandatory";
    amount = "10 USD";
    recur = "monthly";
    url = "https://project.com/buy";
  };
};

$ nix-build -A ardour
error: ardour is free as in freedom (GPL-2), but not free as in beer.
The authors require a monthly payment of 10 USD to use their software.
Please visit https://ardour.org/download.html.
Once you supported the project, use `lib.isPaid` to install it.

Thoughts?

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es