[Nix-dev] Packaging free software that costs money

Roger Qiu roger.qiu at matrix.ai
Wed Jul 6 14:16:47 CEST 2016

I've been thinking about the mechanics of FOSS app stores. If you don't
want to handle the payments, you need to implement a kind of
payment-authentication, where the principle is the same as dealing with
private packages. Instead the key being used is a key that is derived
from a successful payment.

On 6/07/2016 8:57 PM, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
> On 6 July 2016 at 12:50, Bjørn Forsman <bjorn.forsman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 July 2016 at 12:27, Profpatsch <mail at profpatsch.de> wrote:
>>> Free software doesn’t mean it is free as in free beer.
>>>
>>> There are a couple of (very good) applications, that are
>>> sold, like for example Ardour or Radium.
>>> They are normally distributed as binaries, but come with
>>> the source code (as required by their license).
>>>
>>> I think nixpkgs should include them as well (if only because
>>> executing the pre-built binaries on nixos is impossible),
>>> but I also think it is ethically questionable to skip the
>>> buying process.
>>>
>>> I’m at a loss.
>> One improvement we can do is making it easier to run pre-built
>> binaries. Right now you have to create a Nix file with
>> pkgs.buildFHSUserEnv and pass in a lot of data[1].
> And what about those new distro-independent packaging formats?
> appimage, flatpak, ...? It'd be really nice to be able to run those.
>
> - Bjørn

Founder of Matrix AI
https://matrix.ai/
+61420925975