[Nix-dev] On npm2nix and the NPM package set in Nixpkgs

Johannes Bornhold johannes.bornhold at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 11:44:06 CEST 2016

Hi

> On 04 Jul 2016, at 17:34, Sander van der Burg <svanderburg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So far only one response...
Sorry, was silent agreement on my end ;)

> I'm planning to implement the most pragmatic approach very soon -- due to lack of a better/cooler name I'll rename my fork of npm2nix to node2nix.
>
> Moreover, I will add a second attribute set to Nixpkgs allowing people to deploy packages that have been generated with node2nix. Also, I will take the original node-packages.json as a basis, but I will remove the library packages that I believe that should not be in there.
>
> Because the old package set will still be there, nobody should be disrupted and meanwhile people can try/test the new approach.
>
> Any objections?

I've looked into you fork already, looks very positive to me. Appreciate your work on it and also the in-depth background explanation in your blog. :)

I am using mainly pip2nix and npm2nix in my projects to generate package sets, willing to switch to node2nix soonish.

From my perspective, I would even take a switch under the same name, even if it would mean a few hazzles for me potentially to get things up and running again. On the other side, esp. if people use it and get such a change as a surprise, it can be negative, since they would be forces to switch fast or get the old npm2nix available still. At least a fallback option to get the old npm2nix easily would be good to have if we keep the same name for the new thing.

Cheers, Johannes