[Nix-dev] Multiple machines with nix store shared via NFS

Renato Alves alves.rjc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:10:30 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

Recently I've been trying to setup nix on a multiple-machine shared
environment. At the moment I have one machine setup with nix-daemon
running from a store in a custom location (/shared/myuser/nix). This
location is shared via NFS with several other machines. This is all
still pretty new to me as I've only recently started using nix and
haven't used nixos yet.

Before setting up nix-daemon I ran into some problems with database
corruption (sqlite) due to concurrent processes. With nix-daemon these
have gone away.

One limitation that I identified recently is that on any of the other
machines that do not have nix-daemon running (but have read access to
the store) I can run commands from the store without problems but
cannot, for instance, use nix-shell.
So I thought of spawning a nix-daemon instance on those machines but I'm
not sure what is the best way to set it up without risking DB corruption
again.

These are the requirements I'd like to meet:
 * /shared/myuser/nix is shared across multiple machines with the same
architecture (x86_64-linux).
 * All machines should be able to use nix-shell or any nix related
command, including requesting installation of packages.
 * Only some machines are allowed to compile. Machines that are not
allowed should rely on something like remote-systems.conf to distribute
work.

Is this kind of setup currently possible with nix? If so, can someone
provide some guidance?

Thanks,
Renato