[Nix-dev] NixCon St. Petersburg 2016

Rob Vermaas rob.vermaas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 11:38:20 CET 2016

Hi,

> I would like to hear what NixOS foundation board have to say to host
> a conference in Sankt Petersburg. Also is there anybody else willing to
> organise conference? Then if we have more proposals who decides where the
> conference is held? I guess still being a very small community it would not be
> very smart to have multiple conferences (just yet). Do we need some more formal
> procedure for selecting main conference?

I don't think the NixOS Foundation needs to have a bigger say in this
decision, than any other member of the Nix community. So feel free to
organize events in an open discussion with the Nix community.

The NixOS Foundation, *currently*, does not have as goal to govern any
community process within the Nix community. This might change in the
future, if we get broader involvement of the community in the
Foundation, and if the community decides we want to organise this as
part of the NixOS Foundation. For now the NixOS Foundation has a
limited scope, as described on http://nixos.org/nixos/foundation.html,
to support the infrastructure and projects of the Nix community.

To give a *personal* opinion, I would prefer seeing a NixCon in the
USA, if that is feasible and there is enough interest. But I also
wouldn't mind it if it would be organized in St Petersburg.

Cheers,
--
Rob Vermaas

[email] rob.vermaas at gmail.com