[Nix-dev] NixCon St. Petersburg 2016

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Thu Jan 28 14:43:01 CET 2016

Quoting Arseniy Seroka (2016-01-20 21:52:12)
> Greetings,
> We want to organize NixCon in Saint-Petersburg (Russia) based in ITMO
> University [1].
> There is a big conference hall that can seat everyone.
>
> We expect to have at least 40 participants, and we are ready to help
> anyone with visa and invitations. If you need any documents we will send them
> to you by DHL at our expense.
>
> Status of this event can be dictated by the fraction of community that
> will choose to participate. Obviously, if but a little fraction of
> community will attend, we'll call the event differently.
>
> Theoretically, we would like to hold this event in late July or August 2016.
> This season is the best time to visit and see our city.
>
> We will, of course, compensate the cost of living for speakers.
>
> Please tell us what you think!
>
> And it will be great if you express your opinion by voting here [2].
> That will help us to get information about the number of attendees
>
> [1] http://en.ifmo.ru/
> [2] http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=569fea46e4b0012bd712d5f8

Hi Arseniy and Jonn,

At first I would like to thank you for colunteering to do this. Please don't
take it personally if people are raising questions since many of us never
traveled to russia and I think you can understand why it is hard to get proper
information via current media channels.

Anyhow, two questions were raised and (i think) you showed that you are willing
to put extra effort into it:

 - Visa requirements

    Sending invitiation letters, contacting emassies and helping any visitor to
    get all the help when travelling to russia. I think you are willing to do
    more that is asked from you. Thank you.

 - LGBT status in russia

    As you stated many things are not as strict as they apear in media. But
    people still would feel unsafe. Would it be possible to contact one of your
    local LGBT groups and ask them for support and help with conference.
    I think that would make it clear that you have put all the effort possible
    to accomodate everybody and to be as inclusive as possible.

Also please know that we all see your dedication to help grow NixOS community.
Don't take any of the comments personal (saying it again) since I think nobody
ment those things personally, because everybody grew up with a set of
prejudices (that we are aware and unaware) and we are all trying to do our best
for NixOS community. I really wish we can keep conversation in a very
professional level (we are doing quite ok now, but just want to remember
everybody) and restrain from unproductive conversations. On the end we just
need to figure out what is best for NixOS as a global community.

What is the next step?

I would like to hear what NixOS foundation board have to say to host
a conference in Sankt Petersburg. Also is there anybody else willing to
organise conference? Then if we have more proposals who decides where the
conference is held? I guess still being a very small community it would not be
very smart to have multiple conferences (just yet). Do we need some more formal
procedure for selecting main conference?

Thank you Arseniy and Jonn (again) for volunteering for this.

--
Rok Garbas - https://garbas.si