[Nix-dev] nix-shell with system pkgs

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Tue Jan 26 17:55:02 CET 2016

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Yacine Hmito <yacine.hmito at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So, after this lengthy introduction, these are my questions:
>
> - Is it possible for nix-shell to use pkgs as configured by the system
> instead of evaluating '<nixpkgs>'? Would pointing toward the system's .drv
> file
> help? If so, how should I proceed?
> - If it is not possible (yet ? :P), can someone explain to me why
> myotherpkg
> can't find its dependency? This really doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Thanks to anyone who'll be kind enough to answer, and to anyone how has
> made
> this awesome OS.

I'm not sure I understood what you're trying to accomplish, but it sounds
like you ought to be able to just do something like this:

Have nixpkgs in your NIX_PATH point to the unstable channel. Something like

NIX_PATH=nixpkgs=$HOME/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs-unstable

Then import that in your mypkg.nix file:

let

  pkgs = import <nixpkgs> {};

  other = pkgs.callPackage ./myotherpkg.nix {};

in pkgs.stdenv.mkDerivation {...}

Finally, invoke your shell using your derivation directly:

> nix-shell mypkg.nix

Hope this helps!

-Colin