[Nix-dev] Getting Jekyll to work with a plugin

Luis Pedro Coelho luis at luispedro.org
Tue Jan 26 08:19:20 CET 2016

Hi everyone,

I want to get jekyll to work with a plugin (specifically
https://github.com/xdissent/jekyll-rst.git) which itself requires
another package be present (the RbST gem). I cannot even figure out how
this is supposed to be done in nix.

The way it works in a traditional environment is

1. You install jekyll + RbST in the same environment (either globally or
in your local user environment)
2. You put the plugin in your project directory
3. Jekyll finds and loads the plugin, which, in turn, loads RbST
4. Success!

However, I cannot figure out how this is supposed to be done in nix.
Using the packaged jekyll fails on step 3 (the plugin itself is found,
but loading it fails). Even adding the RbST package to the environment
still fails as jekyll couldn't find it.

I have resorted to just using a stateful environment to work as-if on a
traditional system, but I'd love to know how to do this properly.

RbST also needs to access python docutils, which may be an issue of
itself, but I haven't gotten that far :)

Thanks
Luis

--
Luis Pedro Coelho | EMBL | http://luispedro.org