[Nix-dev] Notes and ideas about the Nix-UI proposal

Thomas Hunger tehunger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 16:46:22 CET 2016

Would anyone be interested in collecting some data on how people are using
nix? I had a look though my bash history and I can see myself doing the
following a lot (using ipython as an example).

man nix-store
nix-shell -p pythonPackages.ipython ...
nix-env -qaP | grep -i ipython | grep noteb
[reinstalling to update]

The most common mistake I make is:

nix-env -iA pythonPackages.ipython
error: attribute ‘pythonPackages’ in selection path
‘pythonPackages.ipython’ not found
(should be nix-env -iA nixpkgs.pythonPackages.ipython)

Based on my one sample point I'd make the following decisions:

* "nixpkgs" is implied when installing
* search is AND-ed like in "apt-cache search ...", i.e. "nix search virtual
box" only shows packages that contain both virtual and box
* install is declarative by default

I think a questionnaire would have to be semi-qualitative with questions
like:
1) Which documentation do you check most often?
2) What's your most common mistake?
3) ... other ideas?

~