[Nix-dev] NixCon St. Petersburg 2016

Jonn Mostovoy jm at memorici.de
Thu Jan 21 01:50:46 CET 2016

Dan,
I hate modern regime of Russia as much as the other guy.
I just want to point out that anti-LGBT laws, censorship, oppression of own
citizens, geopolitical expansion has nothing to do with daily activities of
normal people in big Russian cities.
St. Petersburg, the cultural capital of Russia is safer than a lot of
European cities. Of course, there are less safe districts, but such
districts exist in London, Paris, New Jersey, you know.

Besides, one can just go to the conference and then back to the hotel. That
was what I was doing on a recent bip conference in Lviv. I had some
prejudice regarding safety, thus I was doing more networking and listening
to interesting talks and less sightseeing.

kind regards,
jm.