[Nix-dev] Nix-Store sharing (with NFS + AUFS)?

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Fri Jan 15 17:19:37 CET 2016

Quoting Matthias Beyer (2016-01-15 16:38:30)
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently thinking about the following problem:
>
> I want to share the /nix/store from one Master machine to several Slaves, but
> in a slightly different way than is currently possible with ssh / http:
>
> I want _one_ store which contains software, which then can be used by all the
> slaves (like you'd do with NFS).
>
> The Slave machine should still be able to install software with the package
> manager (nix) but only locally, not globally.
>
> So the Slave installs software to /nix/store locally, while /nix/store contains
> store entries which are hosted on the master.
>
> My first idea would be NFS + AUFS, but maybe there are nix-buildin
> possibilities?
>

> Use-Case: Provide a standard-set of software but allow each VM to install own
> software if needed, while keeping the amount of used storage as small as
> possible.
>
> With the solution I'm searching for, 100 VMs which only use the standard
> set on software would cause 1 % Storage-use (the packages are only phyiscally
> available on one machine: the master) of the amount of storage which would be
> needed with each VM installing the stuff.

you could also just use ``services.nix-serve`` module
    https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/release-15.09/nixos/modules/services/networking/nix-serve.nix

and change all slaves to point their binary cache to Master's url.

--
Rok Garbas - http://www.garbas.si