[Nix-dev] dist-upgrade? define channel declaratively?

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Fri Jan 15 11:55:27 CET 2016

Hi Eelco,

> I'm not so fond of how that feature is implemented:
>
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/commit/a5992ad61b314104aff7e28a41ce101a1b0e7c35#commitcomment-14986820
>
> so I may get rid of it for 16.03, before we end up having to maintain it forever.

I really like this feature and already using it heavily.

I can agree that evaluating for the second time is not optimal, I hope there is
a better way to do this, but I would really be against removing the idea behind
the feature.

Usecases I'm solving with above solution are:
 - in one network servers running with different nixpkgs
 - place nixpkgs checkout (via fetchFromGitHub) inside nixos configuration, to
   make nixos configuration reproducable by just checking out my nixos
   configuration

Would you suggest different implementation to solve above problems?

--
Rok Garbas - http://www.garbas.si