[Nix-dev] Java environment

Tim Steinbach steinbach.tim at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 18:40:35 CET 2016

Hi,

I have been working a lot with NixOS lately.
Since I am a Java guy, I was trying to add and update all the tools I am
using.
After some discussions on Github about building things from source rather
than grabbing binaries, I started on a git branch that would introduce a
Nix Java environment. With it, I started building everything from source
that is required to build for example Gradle or Maven. (and there are
plenty of transitive dependencies)

Why I am posting here: Are there general rules for what this should look
like? I am trying to emulate what Nix's Haskell or other package systems
do.
Or should I just put a minimal "Build Gradle from source including all
dependencies" together and then we will discuss on the PR?

Regards,

Tim