[Nix-dev] [***SPAM***] Re: Regarding the Wiki

T White white.tw.tw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 00:30:31 CET 2016

Has the idea of creating a nixos documentation project and transitioning
the wiki to a github wiki been discussed?
https://help.github.com/articles/about-github-wikis/
I suppose one way to look at it could be that a new wiki is created using
the official documentation right from the tree on github. The old wiki is
permanently redirected to the github wiki (page by page?) the old wiki
content is re-factored into the the official docs and the old wiki is
eventually shut down.
My guess is that it would take about four people about a month worth of
weekends to carry the work out as a team.

I don't think kill the wiki is the proper approach. The idea is aggressive
and is designed to facilitate a wake up call about the state of the
documentation within NixOS. There is shared knowledge on the wiki which I
have personally drawn from and it's ease of reach through google searches
makes it some form of asset to the project. Regardless of the way the
information is delivered I believe that the issue lies within the structure
and maintenance of the documentation within NixOS. Not primarily the format
of the delivery. Wikis are proven important collaborative libraries of
information but they do require care and attention.
I do not think that killing the wiki will make the documentation problem
just go away. But I do think that creating a team of people who want to
create and maintain documentation within NixOS is an important first step
towards making NixOS more accessible to learners.
Because they would be doing the work; I believe that it should be the
people who discuss and propose a documentation re-factoring and maintenance
strategy be the ones to go ahead and carry it out.

So I suppose the first important question should be : Should there be a
NixOS documentation project team? and if the answer to that question is
yes, then are there any takers for a role in the afore mentioned project?
As this issue involves the project's infrastructure, I think Eelco's input
into this topic is quite important.

Kind Regards,
Tony