[Nix-dev] Preference for building from source

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 14:56:23 CET 2016

As far as the particular examples of Eclipse and Gradle, I think the issue
is that building java packages (especially big complicated ones like those)
is currently rather painful in Nix. Unlike many other language ecosystems,
we don't have a wealth of prepackaged libraries and dependencies for the
JVM ecosystem, so unless you have a fairly small self-contained project,
it's quite painful to build a new java project.

Of course we should improve that, but in the meantime we might as well
package the jars.