[Nix-dev] Flattening pkgs tree in nixpkgs/pkgs

Mathnerd314 mathnerd314.gph at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 04:35:43 CET 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Jakob Gillich <jakob at gillich.me> wrote:

> I agree that the current folder structure is a mess. There is a severe
> lack of structure, often there are further category-folders in a folder
> with packages (like misc/, misc/themes/).
>
> FreeBSD has categories at the root level, everything below are packages:
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-categories.html
> <https://freshports.org/categories.php>
>
> Maybe this model could work for us, too?

That has 5338 packages in the devel/ folder. I don't think it works.

Gentoo has a tighter category tree, but they too have run into the 1000
files limit:
https://github.com/gentoo-haskell/gentoo-haskell/tree/master/dev-haskell

I'm thinking haskell/<2-letter prefix> is the way to go, if we needed a
separate file for each package. But the current giant-file system is fine
(other than that GitHub doesn't index it).

-- Mathnerd314