[Nix-dev] Flattening pkgs tree in nixpkgs/pkgs

Tomasz Czyż tomasz.czyz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 01:44:26 CET 2016

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Tomasz Czyż <tomasz.czyz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What do you think about moving all packages into flat namespace?
>>

> GitHub limits directories to 1000 files, for example here:
> https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/tree/master/src/test/run-pass
> We definitely have more than that in nixpkgs, so some form of hierarchy is
> needed.

LOL, didn't know about that.

> I would suggest doing it by hosting site / provider: all KDE packages in
> one directory, all GNOME in another, GNU in a third, SourceForge in a
> fourth, Kernel.org in a fifth, etc., with a final "misc" directory for
> one-package sites.

Looks like good way, but not sure about few things. So github.com whould be
another provider?
Seems like haskellPackages, pythonPackages, *Packages could follow that
rule if we treat lang-repos as providers.

> It does mean that packages have to be moved around when their hosting
> changes (e.g. VLC's move away from Sourceforge), but on the other hand it
> makes it very easy to find all broken packages when a site shuts down (e.g.
> Google Code). In general packages change hosting very infrequently, so it
> seems reasonable to me.
>
> The directory structure under that can be flat or chosen by maintainers.
>
> Search, nix-env, and command-not-found remain the best way of finding
> packages, as in https://nixos.org/wiki/Howto_find_a_package_in_NixOS.

Sorry I was not precise. The problem is to locate program nix file, not the
name/attribute.

--
Tomasz Czyż