[Nix-dev] Some hints for Perl -> C++ translation?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 09:22:40 CET 2016

On 01/04/2016 12:13 AM, Mateusz Czaplinski wrote:
> I've seen the https://github.com/NixOS/nix/issues/341 issue. I'm a total
> newbie to Nix, and I'd like to try learning the codebase by contributing
> to this issue. Could anybody possibly help me kickstart on that by
> giving some hints towards:

Being a nix newbie might be a disadvantage wrt. understanding what those
scripts are meant to do and how they're typically used.

>   - how I might try to setup a dev environment for that, ideally in NixOS?

I think ./dev-shell is meant exactly for that.

>   - where in the codebase can I find some "main entry point" to "core
> nix functionalities"?

I'd think that's not a good approach to take. What's written in perl are
mainly facade-like wrappers and utilities.

>   - what would you suggest I start translating first? (which .pm files)
> I'm open to all suggestions, including "hard but very useful" ones, as
> well as "easy but close to useless".

*.pm seem for usage by perl stuff (per/lib/Nix/*.pm), so it should be
possible to completely ignore those. I suppose you know this overview
list https://github.com/NixOS/nix/issues/341#issuecomment-58743265

I think the most called ones are download-from-binary-cache.pl.in,
nix-build, and buildenv.pl. Maybe best start with some script that you
(think) you understand best. From portability perspective, most of them
will need to get ported to achieve the goal.

--Vladimir