[Nix-dev] AppImage

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 15:28:42 CET 2016

On 28 February 2016 at 15:07, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/28/2016 02:59 PM, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
>> On 28 February 2016 at 14:19, Domen Kožar <domen at dev.si> wrote:
>>> For your reading pleasue
>>> https://github.com/probonopd/AppImageKit/wiki/Similar-projects#nix
>>
>> Seems we need to (1) package Subsurface and (2) implement recursive
>> Nix(?) so that expressions can be fetched from upstream repos
>> directly.
>
> Fetching expressions is something else than the author wants.
> Third-party binary packages for nix can be provided, and we have those
> one-click installs for that. Of course one would have to have some
> package manager on the system already (Nix in this case), which is
> considered a large disadvantage by them.

I guess we cannot please everyone.

Oh, I didn't know that one-click installer packages could be made by
third parties. I'll read the manpage now.

> BTW, I tried their Chromium AppImages and without success, at least on
> NixOS. So much for running on any Linux.
> $ /some/path/Chromium-50.0.2644.0-x86_64.AppImage
> -bash: /some/path/Chromium-50.0.2644.0-x86_64.AppImage: No such file or
> directory

I experienced similar thing with Pitivi "universal" package installer.
It has everything bundled *except* the linker. (I wonder how 0install
handles the linker.)

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman