[Nix-dev] Fwd: Wiki is dead

Anderson Torres torres.anderson.85 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 01:14:29 CET 2016

> I started writing some docbook. Maybe I will get used to it but writing
> `<datasetlist><listitem>foobar</listitem></datasetlist>` is way more painful
> that `* foobar` in markdown. Especially in writing I think it's important to
> be able to move text around without too much overhead so that text can be
> reworked until it feels right.
>
> Thanks god there is pandoc so I can keep submitting docbook while writing my
> cozy markdown :)

I think the same. Docbook is extremely verbose and full of ugly XML
tagging, I don't like it.
Also, it is easier to use a lightweight markup as pandoc or Asciidoc.
The learning curve is smoother than XML, and it can be easily
converted to Docbook or anything we like.

But, about documentation: what do you think on a "NixOS Handbook",
like the FreeBSD Handbook? We can reach a wider audience if we use
such a style of handbook.