[Nix-dev] On nixpkgs and reasonable code size

Patrick Callahan patrick.callahan at latitudeengineering.com
Tue Feb 23 20:04:20 CET 2016

I think the topic trees idea is great. This is also how openSUSE does
things, and they've managed to reproduce something like a Github workflow
for packages across a wide range of distros. I think their capitalization
on this model, and the generous provision of a build cluster for public
use, are the two reasons we're seeing such a renaissance in the openSUSE
community right now. The other nice thing about this model is that I
already know where I would fit in (a 'robotics' topic), and I imagine many
other contributors feel the same way.

To get a clearer picture of what I'm talking about, take a glance at the
system of projects, subprojects, and repositories on openSUSE's public
instance of the Open Build Service here <https://build.opensuse.org/project>
.