[Nix-dev] On nixpkgs and reasonable code size

Mathnerd314 mathnerd314.gph at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 17:54:05 CET 2016

I think the solution is to automate package updates as much as possible.
All the big tech companies can release updates at the push of a button;
release management is done by 1 person. The only way to keep up is to also
update all the packages in Nixpkgs with 1 button. There's been some work on
this, maintainer scripts for GNU / Xorg / Firefox / Chromium / Haskell and
the NixPkgs monitor, but it's not very efficient and nothing is actively
watching those for updates AFAIK.

Fedora is running their own release monitoring service (
https://release-monitoring.org/), with push notifications to maintainers,
and from what I've seen they update Rawhide very quickly (faster than all
other distros). But it is still not automated: there can be a week between
an upstream release and someone updating the package.

I've made a little Ruby script which uses rsync to do version checks, it
can pull all versions from gnu.org in 2 seconds:
https://github.com/Mathnerd314/nixpkgs/commit/8563a48caf197118bf13757f344baed129593730

But there is no real way to integrate it into NixOS at present, because
updates still have to go through a pull request first. If the nixpkgs repo
started to consist of package-generating recipes (like cabal2nix and other
tools) instead of non-machine-editable Nix expressions, then it might be
possible to use it.

But this is not happening; instead of Hydra polling Git repositories, which
it can do perfectly well, we still have giant semi-automated commits like
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/commit/e713765b53c930fd6ec5e3fbdeb4efe6f14335af
which break GitHub and make git clones several hundred MB. What happened to
the rule of "Don't keep generated files in version control"?

-- Mathnerd314