[Nix-dev] On nixpkgs and reasonable code size

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 15:28:08 CET 2016

On 21 February 2016 at 15:17, zimbatm <zimbatm at zimbatm.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> tl,td; I think that we should split nixpkgs/pkgs in two

Another way to do it is the Linux kernel way. Instead of splitting the
(git) repository in two (or more) pieces, split _maintenance
responsibility_ into a hierarchy. This is opposite to the flat
responsibility model NixOS development use today.

In such a model, PRs are initially made against a topic tree and then
each topic tree periodically submit aggregate PRs back to the main
tree.

Some possible topic trees:

* nixos (modules etc.)
* desktops environments (KDE, GNOME)