[Nix-dev] problem with automounted ntfs partitions

Máté Kovács mkovaxx at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 08:10:02 CET 2016

Hi all,

The problem I'm trying to solve is that automounted ntfs partitions are
read-only.

For example, `mount | column -t` lists
/dev/sdb1   on  /run/media/mate/adata       type  ntfs
 (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1,uhelper=udisks2)
after I connect my external HDD.

I read somewhere that the problem is likely a lack of ntfs-3g, so I'm
trying to install that, unfortunately without much success.

What's strange is that `nix-env -qaP | grep -i ntfs` lists
nixos.ntfs3g
 ntfs-3g-2015.3.14
yet `nix-env -i ntfs3g` insists on showing
error: selector ‘ntfs3g’ matches no derivations

What am I doing wrong?
How do I install ntfs-3g? Is that even what I need to do here?

Thanks,
Mate