[Nix-dev] Wiki is dead

Mateusz Czaplinski czapkofan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 14:04:15 CET 2016

>From a newbie's perspective, I want to say two things:

1. From watching the "kill the wiki" presentation (as well as the later
discussions), I believe it was actually meant as a provocative/dramatical
(in a good way - as in "thought-provoking"/"wake-up call") way of saying
"we ought to improve the official docs/manual to be good enough, that wiki
should not be necessary", not as "let's just kill the wiki now and it will
magically improve the situation" that it seems to be understood as by some.

2. Without the wiki, *I wouldn't be able to start using Nix & NixOS*. I
really, really mean it! The tutorial and manual are very useful, but
they're missing some practical info, or sometimes it's hard to find (I
mentioned some specific points in an earlier thread). Being a newbie, I was
saved by the wiki from being stuck many times already.

With that said, personally I believe migrating the wiki to a repo would be
acceptable if needed as a way to kill spam. Also, I believe github has some
wiki features too, that can be enabled for a repo, so those could possibly
be considered too (or is that already what is proposed here by @zimbatm?).

Thanks & Best Regards,
/Mateusz.