[Nix-dev] Installing /nix on nfs-mounted volume possible?

Ben Booth benwbooth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:35:17 CET 2016

> On Feb 8, 2016, at 10:15 AM, Wout Mertens <wout.mertens at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with nfs nix stores is that the metadata is stored in sqlite, which can't guarantee proper locking on nfs. However, if you only write from one host, there is no problem.
>
> As for the python stuff, you can run it in a proot, or use nixos which doesn't have /usr :-)

Thanks for your help! I've thought of a new approach: create a NixOS VM, and then export its /nix store as a read-only NFS mount. That way, if a user wants to install software, they can just ssh into the NixOS VM, install it there in an isolated environment, with no NFS locking issues, then that software can be used on any other VM instance. Can you think of any reason that would not work?

Thanks!
Ben