[Nix-dev] Chromium feedback

Tony white.tw.tw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 21:08:44 CET 2016

Hi All,
I recently discovered the horror which is the maintenance burden on the chromium maintainers. For those who don't know it consists at a minimum of bumping major for three versions of the same source code pretty much once every month, checking that the files do not 404, checking that the debian packages of chrome (which the non-free plugins are borrowed from) do not 404 and building all three along with testing them. I will also add that chromium takes a horrendous amount of time to build. And security advisories are common. Adding further work.

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how we can ease the maintenance off chromium in nixpkgs.

I would be happy with a new focus on stable but with a dev version which pulls from git and builds the world target. Beta and dev are dropped.

Please let me know what you think.

Kind Regards,
Tony