[Nix-dev] nix on ubuntu/debian. replace core packages.

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Fri Dec 30 12:48:54 CET 2016

Hi Peter,

When nix is installed on another distro what you get is a
`~/.nix-profile/bin` installed in your PATH before the usual /usr/bin,/bin
and so on.  So if you install userland tools they will "replace" the
system-provided ones just because the path lookup will find them first. So
in that sense you get a unified userland between distros if you install the
same nix packages. Does that answer your question? Note that this only
works for userspace program and not system services.