[Nix-dev] Usability: Nixpkg > NixOS

Judson Lester nyarly at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 00:48:59 CET 2016

Candidly, my experience working with nix expressions so far has not been
confusion about the language.

Two important points are are weakly documented and (to me) mysterious:

First, how derivations become software. I *think* nix-env (or nix-shell, or
nix-repl) takes the derivation, finds the build script, establishes
environment variables and runs the script, but I don't know that I've ever
seen that in print anywhere. More nuanced, I've never quite been sure where
the appropriate dividing line is between derivation and build script - in
theory, you could do all your string processing in one or the other, or
violate Nixpkgs constraints in the build script, but in there's a big
middle ground I sometimes have a hard time navigating.

Second, how do builds get linked into the system? I've seen it happen, and
again I have suspicions that it has to do with the outputs attribute of the
derivation, but I remain in the spooky darkness about particulars.

Judson