[Nix-dev] Usability: Nixpkg > NixOS

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Thu Dec 15 23:21:30 CET 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Mark Gardner <mkg at vt.edu> wrote:

> ​Just like "Go" -> "golang", we can promote "Nix" -> "nixpkg".

Maybe nix-lang?

One thing I've noticed is that if nix is promoted as a package manager,
people are interested until they run into the fact that they have to learn
a weird functional language to use it effectively. Then they decide it's
"too complicated" and go invent an ad-hoc, informally-specified,
bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of nixpkgs. (See, for example,
http://snapcraft.io/)

Perhaps if we promote the language more, people will get over that hurdle
early and then be pleasantly surprised when they see what's possible with
it.

Colin