[Nix-dev] Usability: Nixpkg > NixOS

Игорь Пашев pashev.igor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:15:44 CET 2016

> Starting with nixpkg and then talking about NixOS causes the same problem
> but in reverse. As an example, I came to the Nix community as the result of
> NixOS, not nixpkg. I am not sure I would have been attracted to the
> community if nixpkg was the entry point.

Start from Nix! Nix is all about `derivation` which run a script and
saves its output under /nix/store/xxxxx...zzzzzz.
It automatically runs other referenced `derivations` and saves them
accordingly. So you can build a file, a directory, a python
environment, or an entire operating system (a directory with root dir,
initrd, linux kernel - all produced by their `derivations`)

:D